Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Didn't see that coming

I have plans. I have a lot of plans, actually, and some of them are quite opposite of eachother. I'm fairly convinced I'm going to carry out most, if not all, of these plans even through the contradictions. I was feeling pretty content and excited about the future course for my life.

Then I'm pretty sure God laughed in my face.

Again.

This may or may not ammount to anything, and equally, it may not change anything. But here's Sarah's newest option: Cambodia.

Yes, it's way off in Southeast Asia. No, I've never even considered Cambodia before. I've never thought about Cambodia before. I don't speak Khmer (pronounced kuh-my) but apparently I'm learning it now. By learning it now we mean that I know three words and I can't keep them straight. Spoken Khmer, I've been told, is fairly simple to learn. You don't have to congegate verbs (which killed me in Spanish. And French.) and the grammer is pretty straight-forward. The written language, however, has four lines to every letter. In a way they kind of stack four letters on top of eachother for each letter, and then each main letter can have any variation to the three above or below it.

Yeah....... that's kind of what I said.

Anyway. Why Cambodia, you ask? Good question.
There is a man in Cambodia who has started an orphanage for children living on the street. I don't know much about the country yet, but it went through a terrible civil war when the Khmer Rouge took over in the 70's. It destroyed the country and killed so much of the population, forcing many families to labor camps, then Refugee camps, then various other countries around the globe. It's been awhile since the war, but the government is still corrupt. The orphanage gets no government assistance or any other kind of assistance, for that matter. The kids are taught a trade and sell the goods they make and with the money they are able to buy some basic food. It's nothing fancy but it's the best this man can do in caring for these kids who have no one.

Enter, two social workers who love to travel and take on a challenge. My supervisor happens to be related to this man who runs the orphanage. She and I have bonded quite a bit this semester and share a passion for missions, social justice, administration, and people. She wants to go back in December for the first time in 31 years. This is far from finalized, but we're dreaming big here. We started talking about the possibility of making this orphanage a non-profit organization. She would love the company and support while she travels.

What more do I need to hear?

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, I didn't see that one either. =) How long would you be going for? Are you postponing Portland?

    ReplyDelete