Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Free Money

I realize that a mere seven days ago my school and I were not on the best of terms. I did not have kind words to send in their direction. And although I'm still waiting to get my reimbursment and did recieve a notice that the rest of tuition is due in two weeks (oh scholarship, hurry up), something wonderful happened today.

They decided to give me free money.

Two of my favorite people here at school and I decided to go to San Diego next month for a conference about Human Trafficking. We all happen to be social work majors (and psuedo-professional bakers, but that's another post for another day) and passionate about modern-day slavery. We had the opportunity to go to southern california for 4 days, go to the conference, meet other sweet activist people, gain tools and knowledge for abolitionist work, and did I mention go to San Diego, all while only missing one day of class. I couldn't sign up fast enough.
So Nikki and I approached our professor to let her know we would be missing one day of class in a few weeks. Not only was she fine with us being gone, but she told us about the Diversity Fund on campus that supports students in extra-curricular learning. Like going to Southern California with your two best friends.
Guys they approved us today. It wasn't a ton of money, but enough to pay for the hotel and put some money back in my bank account.

WSU, you are forgiven.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I love when other people pay for my travels... =)

    ReplyDelete