Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Didn't want to go to class, part two

Tuesday morning I awoke before 5am to work for a few hours at my favorite coffee shop. After falling asleep twice in class (no amount of caffeine can keep me awake anymore) I drug my sleepy self to the registrars/cashier/business office. Between talking to three different account service people four different times, running home to check my online bank account, running back to pay $300 I shouldn't have to pay (it will be refunded when the scholarship comes through) and re-registering for all my classes, I ran out of steam. I also figured that the people helping me fix this problem were not the same people who caused it, so I couldn't bring myself to yell at anyone. I would like to find the person who ignored my email last week and yell at him, but am choosing to overlook it til next time. I was promised the problem was resolved so I went on my merry way.

Then I got to class and tried to log into the student website. My fall 2009 classes were nolonger on there. Probably something to do with not being a student. Those same nasty thoughts from Monday all came right back. I emailed all my professors immediately (and got chastised infront of the whole class for emailing) to tell them I could not read or submit assignments. And previously submitted assignments were also deleted. Also found out that the one day I neeeed to be in Race Relations and Minority Groups is when I plan on being in San Diego. By planning I mean I have plane tickets, hotel reservations, and am registered for the conference there. I'm goin' to San Diego, people. Needless to say I was really unhappy with Winona State. I finished out my night class and went home outraged and determined to give I.T. a piece of my mind in the morning. Luckily for everyone, my student account was up and running again this morning and my submissions were even back in existence. WSU, consider yourself forgiven, but this experience will not be forgotten. I'm looking forward to doing this again for Spring semester.

On a somewhat related note, I was standing in line for my coffee at previously mentioned coffee shop when I realized the woman behind me has been in the majority of my social work classes. She's a single mom with a full class load and I cannot tell you how much I respect parents who are back in school. She has her hands full and doesn't get alot of respect from the professors. She told me about her frustrating experience in class this afternoon with a professor I mistakenly took my first year here. I assured her the prof was crazy and she was not in the wrong. He's mean, he's angry, he swears alot and doesn't listen to students. He also yells at students for things he tells them they are allowed to do. She shared with me what she always tells her kids: "There is NO circumstance that provides any excuse for bad behavior."

So simple, but a good reminder. Maybe it's good that for all the smack I talk, I didn't actually give the school a piece of my mind. There is no excuse for bad behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment