Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My 9 to 5 plus 2

It's my last semester of college, and I have a practicum. As best as I can figure it, practicum is a fancy way to say I'm an intern. We're hoping intern isn't a nice way of saying office help, though I have filed a few papers so far. The best practicum placement I could find (and get approved) was in Rochester, a good 55 miles away from my home. After a big inner debate about moving I decided to stay put because A) I love my roommates, B) Moving sounded like a lot of work for only 3 1/2 months and C) I don't know many people in Rochester and knew I wouldn't have much time to be making new friends. And so I commute. I'm playing around with times and routes but Hwy 14 is a sketchy road in the dark and I do not like it. It has potential to be a nice drive when there is no ice and some light with which to see, but for now I'll still to good ol' I90.

I love I90. Probably because I know driving to the end of the road (and my family does have a knack for driving to the end of every road!) will take me to Seattle. Driving to Seattle is on my list of things I must do one of these days.

I digress.... practicum. I work for an international resource center that matches immigrants and refugees to resources like county assistance, interpreting services, job skill classes, and internships in the community. The staff is great. The other intern and I get along well, which is nice since we spend most of the day sharing an office. I do have an office. And business casual has taken over my wardrobe in a way only "mom-sweaters" (according to my oh-so-dear roommate) could. I've been doing well and getting accustomed to everything, but hating the two hours in the car after day two. I love to drive, but being gone from 7:30am to 6pm when you're used to my slacker schedule is rough. The gas bill is steep, and I'm still paranoid about hitting deer.

But tonight I had a wonderful, relaxing drive home. I vaguely recall making up something for a Burnout Prevention Paper last semester about using the time en route to think, pray, listen to music, and clear my mind. Not only did my professor love it, but turns out it's pretty legit. Maybe it's all in perspective, maybe it's in taking a deep breath. Maybe it's about shutting up and turning off the radio and listening to the little voice that wants to speak to your heart. I'm at peace where I'm at right now and I'm looking forward to whatever's coming next.


(Portland? What? More to come.)

No comments:

Post a Comment