Sunday, January 24, 2010

*None listed

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to blog this week. I've wanted to write, to tell you what's going on with my life, but the truth is, I didn't have many good things to say. Great things are going on but I'm exhausted. Long days at the internship with two hours of commuting, three hours of seminar and another job on the side for weekends is beginning to be too much. I'm pretty sure, after an emotional Friday afternoon, that I'm going to cut back on hours at the only job that provides a paycheck. I need to keep my sanity; I can live off ramen for one semester.

But this blog isn't for me to complain about being busy. That's why I didn't write all week. What's been on my mind (still!) is the job market. I sent my application in to a job listing located in Portland last week. Portland is my ideal destination. The West Coast is pretty much the only direction I would even consider, and I can't afford San Francisco and I require a little more sunshine than Seattle would send my way. Portland is beautiful, close to the ocean, close enough to Seattle, oh-so-green, with mountains. And lots of social activism.

Something you may not know about activism is that it is not listed as a job category on any job listing search engine I have found. Neither is social justice. Social work can be close but that's generally casework or something I'm equally uninterested in. Community health is a little closer but not quite right. My best bet has been looking at specific organizations I love like http://www.laborrights.org/, http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/, http://www.nurfc.org/, and http://www.change.org/. But for some reason the positions that excite me the most are consistently all the unpaid internships.

Therefore I am now obviously trying to work out a plan as to how one can live off of unpaid internships without the [9to5] + 2 +(school+another job) - social life = unhappy Sarah. I would love to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment