Monday, June 1, 2009

Malaga

The cathedral in Seville was unbelievable. Katrina hasn´t been able to get her internet fixed since we´re always gone during the day, so pictures will still have to wait. We spent a few hours gawking at the domed ceilings, intricate carvings, the gargoyles, the relics, and the beautiful statues and colors. Katrina and Bec know a lot more about history and art, so we were able to appreciate the significance of alot of the art. Unfortunately the bell tower was closed that day, but Katrina promised to show us her pictures later. Kind of like I keep promising you pictures of our adventures.
Our next adventure was going to be Gilbraltar on Saturday, but the bus schedule did not coincide with ours, so we went to the beach instead. I can say that I was in the Mediteranian! The water was gorgeous and the sun was HOT! I probably wore more sunscreen than I ever have but still have a nice tan. Be jealous. Katrina practically looks like a Spaniard. I think the fact that the three of us kept both parts of our swimsuits on may have put us in the minority on the beach. Oh Europe. Anything goes.
Yesterday we went to church with Katrina. The songs were fun but since everything is in Spanish and the pastor spoke muy rapido, I was completely lost during the rest of the service. Katrina said he was one of the hardest to understand. The rest of the time I can usually follow a spanish conversation well enough to understand what´s going on, but not neccesarily contribute. I´m still working on it. After lunch we went to some Muslim ruins in Malaga (Sundays are free tour days - we are the queens of free tours by now) which were also pretty sweet. We started out in the lower part of the fortress and worked our way through. I believe it used to be the city walls to protect the Muslims from the Christians during war. Seems as though the two groups were always on one conquest or another. Part of the ruins were fenced off, which we thought should connect to the upper part of the city. Being the curious, adventurous women that we are, and not wanting to walk all the way around, we climbed a wall, jumped a fence and got the other side. Ofcourse by the time both Bec and Katrina jumped the fence, I´m pretty sure a lot of people saw me. But we explored for a while and once I was convinced we would get kicked out of the country, we climbed back unnoticed by the crowds. We rock. And we have yet to get in trouble, even though the whole week we were traveling Bec didn´t have her passport.
This morning was our first day at the center. Katrina taught her cooking class and we made Pasteles de chocolate y queso untar or cream cheese chocolate cupcakes. It´s getting easier to understand the women, but half the time they speak Arabic, and then I don´t stand a chance. Add that to the list of things I need to learn. It was the first day when the classes were moved back to the morning time, so lots of women came to bake and chat and go to spanish class.
We are off for more adventures this afternoon! Katrina has a women´s Bible study at her apartment tonight so we´ll get a chance to meet more of her friends.

1 comment:

  1. I WANT PICTURES!! I'm dying over here! And I needed some of that nice tan for Saturday. Way to be Minnesotan white, Cindy. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete